Friday, October 4, 2013

Hashtags.

I think the usage of hashtags can be a good tool to reach out with a message to a specific target group. One can put a hashtag # before a specific word or phrase to open,or be a part of, a discussion/group with others within a specific content. 

Many (including myself) use hashtags for everything. What I have noticed is that the more specific I am with my hashtags, the more I succeed with them. And with succeed, I mean reaching the right/relevant person, company, or target group. Hashtags are most common on Twitter and Instagram. When I use very general hashtags for my pictures or tweets, I get response but from random persons/companies and not those I intend to reach out to. Sometimes I use hashtags for "weekend" or "Europe" for example, because I m in Europe and it is weekend. Not totally irrelevant, but it is better to be more specific. If I eat a specific dish, write about something specific that has happened (international/national/regional news eg.), or visit a specific club, event or restaurant for example, the chance to reach out to those who are closer to your specific topic/pic/tweet increases if you use a more specific/established hashtag. It is easier to share information and pictures with those who actually have the same interest as you, or are at the same event as you for example. 

Let's say I went to Malmöfestivalen, and wanted to share pictures or information about it through Twitter and/or Instagram. I could use hashtags such as "festival", "malmö", "sweden" for example. I would reach people who are intersted in those tags, but I would nische my hashtag and reach an even more relevant group of people if I was more specific with my hashtags. If I use "Malmöfestivalen" and "Malmöfestivalen2013", I would reach those who actually are interested in that specific festival and that specific event in Malmö. And you could see pics and updates from others who are there, as they use the same hashtags as you and no one else do it fo other events/purposes. 

 At least in my opinion, it becomes more interesting the more specific you are and when you reach those with a closer connection to your picture or tweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment