Thursday, October 3, 2013

Marketing, according to me.

Sometimes (too often) I meet people who think that the only purpose with marketing is to persue consumers into buying things,even if they don't want or need them. For me, that is really not the case, and I hope other marketers agree with me. I actually don't think that works anymore. Consumers are smart, and they can share information and experiences with each other easier than ever before.

Marketing, for me, is about identifying a segment (a target group) who could benefit from your products and/or services, and to create a good marketing and communications strategy so these consumers find you and feel that your offerings can create some kind of value for them. Consumers' perceived value is very important. Today's communication possibilities make consumers very powerful and influencing. If you look for hotels, you always read reviews that other guests have written right? The same with restaurants.  

I would never work for a company who sold something that I did not believe could create value for the consumers for example. Or for a company with products/services I don't believe can live up to the promises and expectations that are created with marketing and communications activities. A brand is a promise. A promise to the consumers that your products and/services will live up to the expectations you create with your activities. That is important :)



No comments:

Post a Comment